Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chocolate Mousse Cheescake

All I can say is....Mmmmmmmm!! I first made this cake to celebrate a blessing and it was loved by all, just recently I made it for Easter! It was again enjoyed by all!! I found this in my Taste of Home magazine, I love that magazine, have I mentioned that? LOVE IT!! My mother used to buy me a subscription every Christmas, when we were a young couple. I still get it!


Crust:
1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs, 24 wafers
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted

Filling:
2 packages (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice (I use fresh lemon)
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, seperated

Topping:
1 cup (6oz) semisweet chocolate chips
5 Tablespoons butter, cubed
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
2 Tablespoons strong brewed coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

Garnish: (opt)
Whipped Cream
Decorative chocolate garnish


In a small bowl, combine the crumbs, pecans and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto bottom and 1 1/2 inch up the sides of a greased 9in springform pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 375F for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 325F.

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and vanilla until smooth. Add egg yolks, beat on low speed just until combined. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high until stiff peaks form; fold into cream cheese mixture. Pour into crust. Return pan to baking sheet.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate until completely cooled. I have made this in the evening one night and finished the last step the next day.

In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter. Cool for 10 minutes. In a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, sugar and coffee. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160F; stir in vanilla. Whisk in chocolate mixture. Set saucepan in ice & stir until cooled, about 2 minutes. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over cheesecake and refrigrate until set. Remove sides of pan. Garnish with decorations and whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers. I have left it on the bottom of the pan or transfered it to a cake plate for presentation.

Makes: 12 servings or you can cut into slivers to feed more, share the love!
From: Taste of Home Dec/Jan 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment