Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Chicken Salad

There is something magical about a good chicken salad! Mine is a sweet one full of all kinds of flavor great for parties or just lunch. I have been tweaking my recipie for a few years, this one is one my sister and I created for our family when we were all gathered last summer. After not having much of an appetite Grandma put away 2 chicken salad sandwiches! I say this has the stamp of approval.

*This is not an exact science, it all matters on your taste. I like a wetter salad, you may like a drier salad. I like lots of crunch and my chicken chunked up. Play with it, find what suits you best. If like mine here's what I do!

  • 3-4 chicken breasts cooked, I boil mine, and chunked up into 1 inch cubes or to stretch it you can use a food chopper.

  • 2-3 celery stalks, cut into 2-3 strips and cut to make smaller pieces

  • 1/2 small red onion minced (it makes a nice color)

  • 2 red delicious apples, cored and diced

  • a small -medium bunch of black grapes, quartered (this makes it toddler friendly)

  • 1/2 cup pecans chopped

  • Miracle Whip (I only use this, it makes it sweeter, and I really don't care for mayo)
In a large bowl mix everything together, I like to chop everything up while the chicken is cooking and have it marinate while I'm wating for the chicken to cool. Once you have everything mixed up, start to add the miracle whip, stir, and add more as needed, taste test it for your needs. You can always add more in, it's hard to take it out, but really it's fool proof! Once you have it the way you want, salt and pepper to taste.
Chill in the fridge in Tupperware.

From: Poff's Kitchen
Makes: a good sized bowl of goodness! Plenty for a large lunch or served on mini crossants for a party.
This is very easy to double or triple for large scale servings, and always enjoyed by all!

No comments:

Post a Comment