Saturday, October 13, 2012

Shortbread

Momma's little baby loves shortbread!
My all time favorite cookie, if you want to make me happy shortbread is always a good idea. It's so simple, and yet so wonderful! And really...it's mostly BUTTER! 
Have I mentioned I love butter?

I can't tell you when my love for shortbread began it might be one of my earliest memories...I love all kinds but my favorite will always be just plain shortbread.

I got this recipe from my Kitchen Bible (Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook) If you don't have one in your kitchen library get one! My dad bought mine for me as a wedding gift. It holds all of my mother's day cards I cherish it.
 
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
3 Tblsp sugar
1/2 butter
 
Yup, that's it! I always fudge a bit on the sugar and generally double the recipe.
 

Preheat the oven to 325f. In a medium bowl combine the flour and sugar. Using a pastry cutter or fork if you don't have one, cut in buter till mixture looks like crumbs. Form the mixture into a ball and knead till smooth. For wedges, make on an ungreased cookie sheet, I use my stones, roll out dough into a 8in circle. Make a pretty edge, and cut into wedges. To make strips, on a lightly floured surface roll out into a rectange, and cut into 24 2x1 inch strips, bake 1 inch apart. For all cookies cook for 20-25 minutes.
 
To make chocolate shortbread add in cocoa powder, they will be lovely and a bit tart but chocolatey. You can also add in dried fruits and nuts as you wish.
 
Makes 24 cookies
From: The Better Homes & Garden Cookbook
a favorite of our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment