Monday, April 12, 2010

Buttercream Frosting!

Making all the cakes that I make I needed a tried and true frosting! I did lots of searches internet & cook book to find the best one, trying out each one. I like what I call 'wedding cake quality' frosting! This is the best one! No doubt it's from Wilton the master of all things cake!
1/2 cup butter, softened (ONLY butter, NOTHING else exists)
1/2 cup crisco shortening (It says butter flavor, but I use regular and get sticks)
1 teaspoon clear vanilla (we have an allergy to vanilla, I use fake vanilla the color isn't affected that much)
4 cups (1 pound) sifted powdered sugar
2 Tablepoons milk (when cooking I always use whole milk)

Cream the butter & crisco with an electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add the sugar (really, gradually...it will make a mess!) one cup at a time, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as you go. When all of the sugar is mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk & beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. Ok, so I normally dye the frosting here, with Wilton gels. It doesn't change the consistancy of it at all. Or if you are making many colors I pull out the bowls and eyeball about how much I need and mix. This makes a medium consistancy perfect for decorating!

Makes: 3 Cups frosting (I normally double it, because I use lots!)
From: Wilton.com

No comments:

Post a Comment